Don't just give me a blanket statement...

I may have been in the military and taken my fair share of orders with out question, but when it comes to our home I need practical advice and step by step explanations when it comes to organizing. If you tell me just to do something, forget it, it goes in one ear and out the other. But, if you are able to show me why doing something a certain way will benefit me, I am much more likely to listen. I don't think I am alone here?!

I did not start out as an organized person, whether your clutter habits are learned behavior or something you are born with I will leave that for the professionals. The funny thing is after moving so many times throughout my life (California, Florida to Virginia and many in between), I felt the need to hold onto things from those places, maybe to give me the feeling that I wasn't starting all over again. But now, I am settled, and I don't have as much of a need to hold on to every little thing. Thankfully my DH has been very patient and has seen me mature over the years from tacking posters on the wall of our house just to have something there, to taking pride and making a home that we can both be proud to come home too.

Part of my journey in life, like most women I think is that if I have/had an "issue"  no matter what it was/is, I would identify it and take measures to fix it. For me, having a clean comfortable home to welcome DH, myself and our family too is very important to me. I have actually found that an unorganized home, will distract me from other important things throughout my day, even if I am away from the house (working). With a generation like ours with both adult working full-time jobs out of the home and commuting long distances, it makes having a Martha Stewart/Stepford Wife home near impossible. It makes just coming home, making an attempt at a healthy meal, doing a load of laundry, oh and trying to relax with DH before going to bed almost doable, almost. But, that's about it.

So I picked up a copy of "Confessions of an Organized Homemaker" by Deniece Schofield and a light finally went off for me. When I read, that going to bed with a dirty kitchen sink will just lead to you starting the next day behind (behind on the dishes) I got it. I also got that waking up and seeing a dirty kitchen sink is much worse then just dragging your tired  exhausted butt in the kitchen and just cleaning up after making a meal.
I also took this to heart with my bathroom, this is the first place I see in the morning.  I may not understand couples that sleep in different rooms, but I sure understand not sharing a bathroom (even though our bathrooms are tiny, luckily we have 2 full baths and I have my own space). I wanted to walk into a clean place to start my day. I have excepted the teeny tiny bathroom for what is and decided to get rid of junk  stuff that I really didn't need (5 different bottles of hair spray.. seriously that's only the beginning).

I am proud to say that for the last two weeks, no matter what rush I have been in, my bathroom has been left fairly presentable (I allow for crooked towels as long as they are hung .... well at least when guests aren't coming over ). The counter around the sink (its practically a pedestal sink) has been free of anything other than the hand soap and container I put my jewelry in.  The kitchen sink has been a work in progress, sometimes I feel as if there is good and evil on my shoulder saying "really its ok if you just leave that glass there, you work hard, take it easy" then the good side that says "how hard is it to just wash that glass and put it away" and the easiest excuse of all - the dishwasher is running, I will just wait until its finished.

To some, this may seem totally obvious/trivial, but to me, with 3 hours each night from the time I get home to the time I need to head to bed, I think these two things are huge improvements. Its about the baby steps right?

Speaking of time, this is cutting into my sleep, BTW the kitchen sink is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for adding one!